Re: [Denemo-devel] Does Denemo open third-party lilypond files?

From: Ken Klaser
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Does Denemo open third-party lilypond files?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:14:18 -0800

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 08:38 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 21:40 -0800, Ken Klaser wrote:
> > One question: Should Denemo 0.8.2, installed from tar.gz (not a .deb
> > file), running on Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 "Lenny", open an already made
> > Lilypond file such as those published by mutopiaproject.org?

> It often does not succeed on .ly files from elsewhere. If there are a
> lot of notes it might be worth cutting and pasting them into a file that
> denemo can read.

That works around the issue!

> Denemo does actually manage to open the example you give, but as it
> doesn't understand the \relative command the notes are generally in the
> wrong octave.

It wouldn't open on my system, with 0.8.2 the following message results:
"Load of file [directory snipped] bach-invention-01.ly failed".

I presume something beyond my understanding isn't optimized, or perhaps
Denemo isn't installed fully or correctly.

> The rhythm is all there though, so if you have a midi keyboard you could
> play the notes in at full speed (using the Advance On Edit mode) and the
> right pitches would be put onto the rhythms.
>
> Richard

Thanks for your kind help!

Ken