Re: [Denemo-devel] I got JackMidi output working

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] I got JackMidi output working
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:03:37 +0200

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 09:32 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> BTW I recall writing up a suggestion for how Denemo could store a sort
> of MIDI-track parallel to the Denemo music data in a score, so that
> playback would be just shovelling the data from that track to the MIDI
> out. Did you implement this, or are you creating the MIDI data from
> the
> Denemo data on the fly?
I see that you have checked in the jackmidi code, and the answer is
neither.  What we have is not live MIDI out yet, but MIDI out via an
intermediate file using JACK as an alternative to an external midi
player (playmidi, timidity or what have you).
Richard

It's good to see this taking shape.

I have a question.
Currently, when we set an external midi app to playback, and when the playback stops, the app closes. This isn't too bad with either timidity, or qsynth, but it's presented a bit of a challenge with linuxsampler. (Trying to assign a constant template, when LS opens and closes is a problem i haven't found an answer to just yet)

So in going forward with a multiport jackmidi structure, is this likely to be the case?
Because if Denemo opens and closes jack ports, according to playback, then it will need to have some facility to 'autoconnect' each port per staff correctly, each time.
The alternative would be to have jackmidi ports assigned to staves in a constant connected state, according to user staff preference. (User assigns staff to port, and it stays that way.)

I'm still finding my way around the New Denemo, so if i've missed a setting that maintains an external app in a constant active state, then all of the above is moot.

Alex.