Re: [Denemo-devel] jack menu?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] jack menu?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:48:49 +0000

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 22:22 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I was wanting to add a menu for jack options.
For setting jack options you need to split between those that you change
in the normal course of using the MIDI, and those which should go in the
prefs dialog.
Anything which you would normally switch backwards and forwards when
using the program should be in the window currently labelled Pitch Entry
Control. This window would be better turned into a frame inside the main
window, to be hidden/shown via the view menu & via a scheme_ function
(see similar code for showing/hiding the PrintView and code for
selecting the mode from scheme - you can't just execute the action of
these toggles because it does not set the check box).
Turning the Pitch Entry Window into a frame is one of Nils suggestions
which I agree with, - you can leave it to me to do it for the next
release.

>  Do you guys think that
> this is the best type of interface. I was thinking of a menu that
> allowed turning on/off jack. I suppose a popup would work also. I want
> the user to be able to restart the jack initialization if jack crashes.
The Input->Midi Input should start/restart jack. The very fanciest would
be to have a timer periodically checking, but I think this is not needed
at this stage. Just let people turn it off and then on again via the
Input menu.

> If it is through the menu do I have to add an entry in denemoui.xml? I
> don't know how to deal with the xml file when some people are compiling
> --enable-jack and some are not.
That's easy, you put everything in the denemoui.xml, and at run time you
ignore them (crude, gives warning about no such action) or leave them
(crude, when clicked they just say no jack) or gray out/hide the menu
items. But I don't think we need a new menu for this stuff.

Richard