Re: [Denemo-devel] No timesignature or barlines

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] No timesignature or barlines
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 09:00:15 +0000

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 00:40 -0800, John simmons wrote:

> > On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 09:07 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > >/ On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 19:59 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:/
> > >/ > Bass has asked on the wish list /
> > >/ .../
> > >/ > Denemo does still output the | into the LilyPond, which is undesirable/
> > >/ > and does not really do anything useful./
> > >/ > We could change this to/
> > >/ > %|/
> > >/ > by default, with perhaps an option to turn the barline checking by/
> > >/ > LilyPond back on, if it serves a purpose somewhere./
> > >/ Giving this some more thought:/
> > >/ I think this is really a no-brainer; Denemo should not be seeking help/
> > >/ from LilyPond to point out incomplete/overcomplete measures, it can do/
> > >/ this sort of thing itself./
> > >/ I'll switch to %| for the Denemo barline postion indicator (which/
> > >/ hand-editors will want to see)./
> > Hand editors of the LilyPond output that is.
> >
> > It turns out that if you use
> >
> > \set Score.timing = ##f
> > \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
> >
> > and the insert \bar "|" wherever you want a barline you can create the
> > sort of thing Nils was asking for last year. If you don't put a bar line
> > in at all then eventually LilyPond seems to get stuck as it doesn't
> > break lines except at barlines (it seems). Also, you may need to take
> > control of the beaming yourself.
> > It might be an idea to paint the auto-barlines that Denemo generates in
> > light gray (as you cannot edit them) and the give | as the display for
> > \bar "|", an editable bar line.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> Hi - I'm a Lilypond user that wants to use Denemo.  I compose a lot of
> unmetered chant, where there is no time signature, and the barlines are
> set by me according to word/breath phrasing.  I also use a lot of breve
I think we have a problem wit breves, I don't know (never tried), I
would need to look at the LilyPond docs to see what was needed.
> notes to carry phrases intoned on the same note in between melodic
> bits.  The directives listed above would be important.
It is becoming easier to add these in (set them as a menu item in your
personal menu set).
>   It would be good
> to mark the Denemo barlines seperately
This is now done, and will be in the next release
>  from the Lilypond at least, so I
> can remove them
they appear as comments in lilypond
> and put in my own - better - to allow me to put them in
> as I see fit in Denemo.
That is what you can do with the \bar "|" insert - there are several
special barlines in Denemo now, and it is trivial to add more.