Re: [Denemo-devel] Multiple lilypond postfix

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Multiple lilypond postfix
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:35:28 +0000

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 09:52 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> Just to be clear, query is used for appending onto what was previously
> there.
That is the sort of thing you could use it for - you could query the old
value append the new value to the old value and write that back.

> Is directive still used?
(d-InsertLilyDirective "directive=blah blah")
while
(d-AttachLilyToChord "prefix=blah blah") (or ToNote, or postfix)

So (quite logical now) directive is for inserting LilyDirectives -
arbitrary LilyPond anywhere in the music, that is not to be deleted with
a note, such as \repeat volta 2 while prefix and postfix are for
LilyPond attached to notes and chords.

>  I tried using it but it did not insert anything
> onto the lilypond window. I updated the guitar fingering scripts and
> pushed them to git. They postfix and prefix but no directive. I assume
> this separation prefix, directive, postfix is used to allow easy
> appending of directive without having to parse for any of these ">"
> and
> then insert before.
Well, no, it is targetted at making things easy and controllable for the
user (but I expect the clarification above has explained this).
> I also noticed that < is written as &lt in the
> scripts and < fails to load on saved scripts.
You have the nice Get Script and Save Script now on the right click
menu, so you should never need to go into the xml files and edit there
(it is xml that is putting &lt; for <, the reason being that xml uses <
for its own purposes).
So, to update your scripts you just need to right click on the menu
item, Get Script, modify and Save Script (hmm, I should have paired Get
with Put, sigh). If you use the trick of putting a symbolic link from
your ./denemo/actions/menus to your repository you have only then got to
commit and push. You never have to see the xml. (The link trick works
because Save on a script saves to your local .denemo, as it can't save
to the system version where your script may have come from).