Rhythm input via pc-keyboard Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Rhythm input via pc-keyboard Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:00:17 +0000

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 20:44 +0100, Till Hartmann wrote:
> > > Perhaps whole note = C, half note D etc, then entering rhythms would
> > > have the added advantage of audible feedback - you would soon get to
> > > recognize if you had pressed a quarter note for a half note by the sound
> > > it makes. Things like eighth-note sixteenth-note sixteenth-note would
> > > make a little tune which you would recognise as you played it
> > > (rhythmically) in on the music-keyboard.
> > >

> > What would these little sounds sound like? sound effects?
In practice, I have found it easier to use the numeric keypad to tap in
rhythms, but the same idea applies: each rhythmic entity can have its
own sound as you type it in.
 So, I have added pitches that give you feedback when in rhythm mode;
each rhythmic pattern (including dots and rests) has its own distinctive
sound, diminishing the tendency to look up to check and then lose your
place. The sound effects are very simple at the moment - they could be
anything, the rests especially could have more of a shush effect to
them.
Pushed to git this morning.
I've also fixed the LilyPond directives when inserted from scheme script
to use the display syntax.