Re: [Denemo-devel] Logo Experiments

From: Till Hartmann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Logo Experiments
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:04:15 +0100

Nils Gey schrieb:
> I was never statisfied with my own logo for Denemo.
>
> Today I experimented a bit and I have attached you two images. One plain and
> one "web 2.0 style". Both are beta.
>
> This logo is a more hard to read but from a graphical point of view its much
> more unique, so people will recognize it better. You will notice the funny
> little signs on the left side. While I have made this I suddenly noticed that
> "Denemo" absolutly sounds like a Japanese word. I don't have any clue what
> "Denemo" (in English and in Japanese!) means but I added the Katakana-symbols
> (Japanes letters for foreign words, branch-names or to highlight something)
> for De-ne-mo to the logo. I know we have nothing to do with Japanese (except
> I'm learning it) but I think of it as a little accesoire which make the logo
> more unique.
>
> And maybe a Japanese will actually see the logo and think "Ah! Its pronounced
> Denemo!" :) After all they make european music, too, and need notation.
>

> Nils
>
> P.S. But after all I am just a musician.. these graphics things are... well..

Hm, indeed. This is nice as a "corporation" logo or something like that,
or as a "subtitle/dub" below the 'real' logo. What I connect with 'logo'
is 'icon' first of all,
which means you'll need something *really* unique, something that you're
able to remember easily.
Example: Ardour.
Ardour has got both - the kind of logo I think of as a kind of
'subtitle' (the "Ardour"-logotype, the written 'Ardour' that is) and the
kind of logo I think of as a kind of 'icon' (the Ardour 'A'-icon). That
'icon-logo' can be something completely different from what is 'inside',
imagine a banana icon for denemo. The most important thing is - as
already mentioned- that you connect the software with the icon/logo.
Another aspect is the psychological use of shapes/angles/perspective in
icons/logos. For example, a slightly waving(?) horizontal line implies
something calm and smooth, whereas vertical lines create an effect of
something momentous/great or movement. You can use shapes in a similar
manner, (triangles have got sharp edges/peaks, whereas rounded triangles
create a quite different effect. Or imagine rectangles/circles or
whatsoever ;) ).

Till