Re: [Denemo-devel] A good idea.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A good idea.
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:08:52 +0000

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 13:35 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> This is of course right.
> But all tools which offer complexity have to suffer under these issues. All
> the CLI-apps like irssi, alpine, mutt, centerim, rtorrent etc. are
> "nerd"-tools but only because they look "ugly" and you have to use your
> keyboard.
>
> But Denemos first customers are people who like lilypond but don't want to
> add everything by themselfes. So its a improvement nontheless (right word?
"nonetheless" is a lovely word for this meaning.
> ... anyway)
>
> What can be done about this problems is what other apps like the mentioned
> above do:
> Communitywork and Doc-Work paired with PR-work to show how great Denemo is
> once we decide that its now really great.
>
> I could make video-tutorials about all the cool keyboard/mouse/pc-keyboard
> features.

> And we could offer many keymaps.
This is something that we need to think about - too many keymaps and
after trying one or two the user may give up, too difficult to find what
they would want.
> At least users don't have to deal with text-config files and can setup Denemo
> per GUI.
The ease of set up is one of the things that I use: I rarely remember
the keypress for something - I often set one up on the spot, as soon as
I realize that I have to do something over and over again.

> Nils
> P.S. its nice to have different words in German for pc-keyboard and
> music-keyboard :)
Yes - you have spotted that I became aware at the outset that we could
easily have emails misunderstood for lack of a good vocabulary - I
didn't think of pc-keyboard though (I don't habitually use the "word"
pc). Perhaps I could refer to the music keyboard as the clavier, but
people dipping in to the mailing list may not understand - indeed they
may well not understand music keyboard, midi-keyboard would be better.
Richard