Re: [Denemo-devel] More timidity diagnostics

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] More timidity diagnostics
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 20:12:17 +0000

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 18:49 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> Don't use timidity.
ok. I got qsynth and a .sf2 soundfont and Qsynth said I needed the jack
daemon running so I tried:

$ jackstart --realtime --driver=alsa

and (in another window) launched QSynth which said that there could be
"tuning problems" and then, as with timidity, I go no output.

The window where I launched jack was as follows:

$ jackstart --realtime --driver=alsa
jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
           =ep cap_setpcap-ep
    probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
    a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"

back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackstart: could not give capabilities: Operation not permitted
jackd 0.101.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK
will try a  24bit format instead
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK
will try a  16bit format instead
nperiods = 2 for capture
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK
will try a  24bit format instead
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK
will try a  16bit format instead
nperiods = 2 for playback
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 20) [for thread
-1228375120, f rom thread -1228375120] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
-1236767824, f rom thread -1236767824] (1: Operation not permitted)
subgraph starting at qsynth timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=7, status = 0,
state = Triggered)

And then further messages from time to time
like this:

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 8.126 msecs

Does this make any sense to you?
Do I need to launch jackd as root?