Re: [Denemo-devel] The next piece

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The next piece
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:57:56 +0000

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 15:24 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> Because it is my task to write at least one piece in one week, no matter how
> simple or how small, here is my next one. Since I will write every piece of
> music in Denemo I hope I can give you feedback and bug reports which appear
> in "real life".
> If it annoys you that I send my work with my Denemo-experience to this list
> please let me know and I will stop.
It is really great to have real feedback. Please continue.

> Today I wrote a folk-song in Germans 19th century style. Consisting of a
> monophonic voice, lot of stancers and probably an idea how to harmonize,
> normally shown in Guitar-Chords above the staff. Text is about wandering
> around in the dark and cold, feeling the far-away home but you have to travel
> on. In the end there is hope and the sun still shines. Typical romantic,
> wanderlust theme.
>
> This means today I learned about setting Chords with Denemo and using the
> lyircs. My goal was to save all information within Denemo and not to use a
> text-editor afterwards. [Done]
>
> For the chords I have reported two bugs, but the buglist is rather slow with
> sending mails to the mailinglist.
>
> For the lyrics I can say Denemo is not fit to write more than simple lyrics
> in an easy way. But Richard told me this before.

> Because I didn't understand the "multiple verses" example
It is not so very different from your own hack. Yours has the advantage
that you can see the lyrics in the Denemo window, but they are not
spaced underneath the notes (because you have put them all on the first
note). In my hack the lyrics showing in the Denemo window are not used
(in a custom scoreblock you can just ignore things you don't want).
Instead the lyrics are just created as text at the start of the custom
scoreblock. And then they are used in the \score { } block itself.
The advantage of this is that you can edit the lyrics easily - you can
just stay in the LilyPond window, editing & re-printing to see that you
have the syllables right.
Attached is your file with the lyrics moved into the scoreblock - now
you can edit them more easily. I've invented a name for the first line
of lyrics, so now they are called d, a, b, c
but you will get the idea I hope.

What does need fixing is nice editor commands for the LilyPond window,
but you can cut paste and drag text.