Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:01:18 +0000

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 09:14 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> (debian) ? :)
> features not
> special
> don't have
> >
> > 64studio is also for 32bit avaible.. bit confusing with the name, I
> know.
> > I totally understand and accept your concerns, but I don't know if
> the majority of users are using a audio-dist. or at least a
> modern-distr. like ubuntu anyway.
> >
> > I think I will make a poll on the website. Its interesting.

> > > I would say don't bother then.
I think you miss-read my last sentence! I *do* want to get it going for
my own purposes! (For non-native English speakers listening in, the "do"
in my sentence is generally followed by "not" unless the speaker is
emphasizing the affirmative nature of the sentence by their intonation,
which is, naturally, not audible in an email).
In fact I went off to get a midi-usb cable, and have ended up ordering a
digital usb midi controller (M-Audio 49E) with a sustain pedal, as I
think if I can keep my hands on one keyboard while entering music I can
avoid losing my place in the page I am transcribing from. (Recently I
have been working from 18th century prints, and it is all too easy to
lose your place while looking down for the delete key on the keyboard
etc).
So, I will be taking up Nils' suggestion of making the midi events
available as shortcuts (along with the mouse shortcuts & key shortcuts
we already have).
I am very pleased that the midi input is working - it is nothing short
of a minor miracle, the way I write code, for something that I have no
way of testing should work first time. It reminds me of the time the
first silicon came back for a new 64-bit dual processor chip came up and
the stuff I had written to get control of the second processor worked.
The chip was already being put out with the trash as the first wafers
came from the foundry though...