Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faul

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faulty for whole measure rests in 4/2 time)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:35:33 +0100

Hi people,

a few thought about this topic.

1)There are two ways to enter midi to get notation:
  a)Enter them one after another, without timing information. You choose the
length (half, quarter...) of the Note in Denemo and then press a midi key or a
chord (any note that is played a few ms after the first belongs to the chord)
and its entered to the currently selected staff at the cursor position. For me,
in the past, that was the most quick and reliable way to get clean notation out
of midi. If you want to Notate via a Midiinstrument I would suggest this method.

  b)Real-time-recording, as you know and discussed, is to have a metronome or
some time-signal and then play along. I have never seen any application that
does good work and I tried many. You will need heavy quantisatzion(?) and lots
of human work after you recorded to correct everything. Drum notation is even
more a pain to record. Live-recording is normally for non-notation people with
pianoroll and all this sequencer-things. I suggest to drop that feature and if
you want a more "humanized" playback there are other ways (for example via
scripts) .

2)To the sequencer topic. I don't know what these libs are that you mentioned,
but I gathered a few links regarding linuxaudio and jack-midi, maybe there are
helpful.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1004080 An Article about Jack-Sync/Transport
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/guide-to-sound-apis.html Guide to Linux-sound
apis
http://pin.if.uz.zgora.pl/~trasz/jack-keyboard/ Virtual Jack-Midi-keyboard
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jack-smf-utils/ Simple Midi player and recorder
via jack.
http://apps.linuxaudio.org/ Other linuxaudio-apps.

There are a few other JACK-tutorials but there are all about Jack-Audio.

Nils