Re: [Denemo-devel] Polymetrics

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Polymetrics
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:11:13 +0100

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 17:15 +0300, Kaspar wrote:
> OK, thanks, it prints now.
> I see that it's not as straight forward procedure as one would hope :)
No but once done it can be put in a gallery for others to use.

> Hopefully it gets there eventually...
>
> As I'm new here, what are exactly the future horizons for Denemo?
> Be a complete front end for LilyPond, or is this just an additional feature?
>
> The reason for asking is - there are some other free notation programs there
> that are being
> developed right now (Canorus, MuseScore etc) and it would be helpful to know
> which to choose.
My interest in Denemo is to be a "complete" front end to LilyPond. What
could this mean - complete? LilyPond incorporates a scheme interpreter,
so you could write a LilyPond file to do anything, and you cannot write
a front end to do anything.
My idea is to use Denemo to enter/edit the notes of a piece of music and
to allow this to be supplemented with directions in the LilyPond
language to say how to print the notes on paper.
The first bit is achieved by displaying the notes in musical notation,
so that you know what you have entered. (So I'm assuming the user can
read music). And you must be able to find particular bits of your music
and alter it quickly.
The second bit would have two levels: someone who does not know the
LilyPond language. They can use canned LilyPond tweaks which come
complete with a menu item name, display etc. My example is Guitar
Fingerings, by choosing to load menu items for guitar music an item
called Fingering would appear in the menu and the user can invoke it,
type a number for the fingering (in response to a prompt) and the
appropriate fingering appears in print, and at least some indication
appears in Denemo.
The second level would be with some understanding of LilyPond the user
edits the LilyPond for some completely novel effect, but keeps the
ability to return to Denemo to change a note here and there, or even
completely re-write some of the notes. As long as the novel effect is
outside of the notes being changed, it is carried over.
I would be most interested in knowing about other projects, as I don't
seem to find the time to look in to them myself. (I know they would
never really support figured bass, so I'm not that strongly motivated I
guess!)
Thank you for your interest.