Re: [Denemo-devel] Custom menus

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Custom menus
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:24:31 +0100

Mulling this over, an improvement to the interface to custom menus would
be this.
Instead of a Favorites menu, adding a new menu item can be something you
can access when you right click on a menu item. So, you have found the
place where you would like to see Multi-Measure rests (perhaps you are
looking under Measure, or Rest ...) and you right-click for help and you
can set a shortcut, read the tooltip, etc as usual, but also, add in a
new menu item there, to do the thing you wanted.
As I think it makes sense to send the right-click on the menu item to
the manage-shortcuts dialog Jean-Rene` has written, this would mean
expanding it to show the action path of the currently selected action
(well, I suppose you don't have to show it, its a bit technical, but the
dialog needs to know it, as the insertion point for a new menu item).
and adding a New button, for adding new menu items, and a delete for
deleting (/hiding) ones you don't want cluttering up your menus.

I've started thinking about how you would store your extra menu items.
An xml file with entries like (remotely) this would do:

<menuitem name="GuitarFingering">
        <location text="/ObjectMenu/Expressions">
        <label text="Guitar Fingering">
        <tooltip text="Add a guitar fingering to the note at the cursor">
        <lilypond text="-%d">
        <parameter type="int" low="1" high="5" prompt="Finger: ">
<\menuitem>

This file would be written whenever the keymaprc was written, so the two
would always be in step. I don't know whether the syntax would be in the
style above or
                <location>"/ObjectMenu/Expressions"<\location>
or something else.
Perhaps someone who has read up on xml could comment.

Eventually we could have elements like
<display type="icon" image="myImage.png" x="+20" y="-10">
to indicate to the draw routine what and where to display (in the Denemo
score area that is) at this point in the music. This display control is
not intended to try and guess how LilyPond may lay out the music, just
tell you at a glance what you have told LilyPond to do, without having
to read the LilyPond text at that point in the music.

Richard