[Denemo-devel] Website: Part 2 (and Promotion)

From: N. Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Website: Part 2 (and Promotion)
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:41:46 +0200

Hi list,

Website
======

The basic website is nearly ready. I want to tell you some of its features.
Certain users, the developers, will be granted with the right to add and change content. Content is a newspost, called "story", on the one side and simple pages on the other. The pages are there already. The main page is the Information page which shows what denemo is.

Pictures can be built in anywhere, even as a standalone newspost (simply called Image in the create content menu)

The newsposts can be created on the right side of the page, in your user menu. If you create a story it will automaticly show up on the front page.

I have also made a git-ticker to the page, so that people will always see some update, even If we don't write any real news.

The ticker, and some other parts of the cms, require a working cron-job system. Jeremiah, is it too much for the server to have cronjobs enabled? I planned to create daily a cronjob wich will fetch the manual out of the git repository (so git would be needed on the server also) and create a pdf page out of it, which will be placed on the manual page. So there will be an downloadable, up-to-date pdf manual on the page without human work.
If you know a better way how to create a pdf manual please let me know.

There are still a few things to be done before showing the website to other people:

-The page must be able to send mails

-The Information page lacks content. Please write down the main features and a bit about whats planned in the future. Or anything that comes into your mind. But please write in "leadstyle": Important information, in short, first, and details at the end.

-The Download and Sources page needs to be filled with binaries. Since I know where the Linux binaries and release-tars are there is still Richards seperate windows page. But this is a special point that leads directly to:

Promotion
=======

After all I volunteered to bring denemo to a bigger public audience. For this there are some points which are confusing and need to be solved:

-Richard has a seperated page for windows builds of denemo, complete with a changelog. I think this is not needed anymore. Why not adding the windows binaries to the savannah download page and using denemo.org (news and download page) for further announcing. So there will be only one page (denemo.org) for binary.

-The sourceforge page should be deleted. I know this is a difficult task since Adam is not saying anything anymore. I want to contact sourceforge again, if you allow me to do it.

-The Savannah Homepage (html version) needs to be cut down to a simple announcement, fulfilling the savannha-requested information. However, it should lead the user directly to denemo.org after that.

-The denemo user mailing lists is practically not used. I recommend to delete it and getting all users to use the dev list, concentrating support and discussion. If its not possible to dev-talk anymore (unlikely) then we can think about a user list again, or even a forum on the new page, since users seem to prefer bulletinbords while devs seem to like mailing lists better.

-I will search through the web and contact webmasters to change their links and/or write some article about denemo. This includes wikipedia.

Finally I ask you to allow me to completly organize and execute a promotion and announcement campaign (in the web). For that I have to know what the main goal of denemo is:

On the old page there was written that denemo aims not to be complete and leaves textwork on the lilypond sourcefile to the user. Reading the mailing list I think this not up-to-date anymore. It seems that the devs believe it would be nice if denemo could create a complete lilypond file and using 100% of the lilypond possibilities without seeing the ly file/. I think this is not too much to say, even if this task is not complete yet.

Second I read about playback inside Denemo, highlighting the Notes which are played currently. ("/Denemo will be able to play notation files karoke style with scrolling playback")/ What about that? I never saw that, I only could use Denemo to generate midi files.

Third: Should I search for help to implement a ALSA and JACK (and LASH) client to denemo?

so far...

Nils

/