Re: [Denemo-devel] Trying to build from git

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Trying to build from git
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:12:10 -0500

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 16:03 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 09:44 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 16:00 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > > I don't know how to link libportaudio.a. Maybe you can point me to the
> > > docs or explain to me how you linked it and compiled denemo so I can
> > > update autotools to do this.
> > I don't know much about these configuration tools - I tend to use
> > compiler and linker directly when developing something, rather than
> > trying to talk to make (let alone automake) to get it to do things for
> > me. I guess it was Adam who created the automake stuff to build with
> > portaudio V18.
> > Thomas made some suggestions as to how to test for V18 or V19 at
> > automake time, but they presuppose more understanding of the autotools
> > than I have.
> > Comparing the entries in configure.in
> >
> > PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBAUBIO, aubio >= 0.3.2)
> > CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $LIBAUBIO_CFLAGS"
> > LIBS="$LIBS $LIBAUBIO_LIBS"
> >
> > dnl PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PORTAUDIO, portaudio >= 18)
> > dnl CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $PORTAUDIO_CFLAGS"
> > LIBS="$LIBS -lportaudio"
> >
> > it looks like we could support V19 with
> >
> > PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PORTAUDIO, portaudio >= 19)
> > dnl CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $PORTAUDIO_CFLAGS"
> > LIBS="$LIBS $PORTAUDIO_LIBS"

It should actually be this (notice portaudio-2.0):

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PORTAUDIO, portaudio-2.0 >= 19)
dnl CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $PORTAUDIO_CFLAGS"
LIBS="$LIBS $PORTAUDIO_LIBS"

> I've tried this, it very politely tells me that I haven't got V19 and
> suggests a solution that worked: I set PORTAUDIO_LIBS and
> PORTAUDIO_CFLAGS with these commands
> export PORTAUDIO_CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/
> export PORTAUDIO_LIBS="-L/usr/lib -lportaudio"
> re-ran configure and all was well.
>
> There were some other problems before it built
> view.c was not up to date for gallery open - I've checked this in to git
>
> denemo.conf denemorc.xml were missing - I just copied ones from my
> working directory - can they just be checked in?
> examples/Makefile.am has a reference to the deleted Belle... name.
>
> With these it built and installed and ran. Deleting my .denemo showed
> that the supplied keymaps/denemokeymap.rc file causes a slew of
> complaints about a nul token, I could replace it with my own one, but
> that would be a bit skewed towards my own type of work, so if there is
> something more general that does not cause these warnings lets use that.
>
> I think we could go with this - put the V18 commands in the README (or
> INSTALL?) and create a trial release supporting V19 by default.
> What does everyone think?

That sounds ok. I will look into seeing if I can make a switch in
autotools to do v19 if its there and then v18 if there. If none are
there then will it fail at configure. Is the denemo code different for
v18 vs/ v19?