Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo API

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo API
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:28:09 -0500

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 16:06 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> One question has arisen with the new patch from Jean-Rene` and that is
> about the function naming - dnm_xxx is part of some attempt (I think) to
> retrofit a Denemo API, and perhaps the sanitize function is more
> internal?
> Can someone who knows about this Denemo API idea comment (Jeremiah?,

Yeah, It was meant to create a set of functions that were public so that
we can create plugins. It was also going to be used for scripting. We
envisioned denemo having kind of a listener window that either contained
a python interpreter or listener for scheme. Plugins could be written in
either c, python, or guile then. This way if you wanted to turn denemo
into a sight singing application you could easily do that using the
pitch recognition functionality along with notes on the denemo staff.
Users would sing the notes and denemo would mark if the sang note was
sharp/flat (within predetermined closeness). Later a score can be added
up. So the api can be used to extend denemo via the plugin system with
out bloating it down with features that not everyone wants.

Jeremiah