Re: [Denemo-devel] ideas on new features for future release

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] ideas on new features for future release
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:26:09 -0500

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 16:24 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:52 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > I have a few ideas for future releases:
> >
> > Fingering sub-mode
> >     sub mode of insert or edit
> >     user hits a character "12345PIMA etc ..." and each denemo note
> This sort of continuous entry is what I think we can and should do for
> lyrics, chord symbols and figured basses. I need to split staffs from
> voices first, and then sort out multiple accelerator maps (as the
> keypresses will be going to the drawing area window).
> >     object gets a fingering assigned to it. Null values will not
> >     print a fingering. The cursor should advance to the next note
> >     after a char has been entered. Perhaps the fingerings will
> >     only be visible in fingering sub-mode. For guitar there would
> >     need to be both right and left hand fingerings for each note.
> Can you give a short sample of LilyPond code showing what the output
> would be? The output for a single two note chord at present looks like
> this:
> <a d'>4  \bar "|."

To finger this chord it would look like this:

<a-2 d'-3>4  \bar "|."

This would put the 2nd finger on a and the third on d.
Single note fingerings look like this:

c4-1 c-1 d-3 e-0

The -0 on the e makes it an open string.

To string indications it looks like this:
<a'\3-2>4

The \3 indicates string. I can only get this to work inside the <>.
If you have multiple notes at once it looks like this:

<a'\3-2 c'\2-1>4

This assignes the 3rd string and 2nd finger to the a' and also assigns
the 2nd string and 1st finger to the c'.

To add RH fingerings it looks like this:
#(define RH rightHandFinger)
\override StrokeFinger #'font-size = 0
<a'-\RH #2 >4

This puts the RH finger #2 or 'i' finger to pluck note 'a'.
Adding something like this to the last line adds all 3 fingering
indications:

 <a'\3-2-\RH #2 >4

This says note 'a' is played on the \3 (third string). The 2nd finger
will fret it in the left hand. Finger #2 or 'i' finger will finger the
RH.

> How do you add fingerings in LilyPond (three examples really - right,
> left fingerings and Fret number indication)?

In most guitar notation I have seen there is left/right hand fingering,
playing position or bar position.

> > Voice properties
> >     This would add properties to that voice. Property values could
> >     be stem direction, size (for separate secondary verse melodies)
> This may come with what I have - again a sample LilyPond would be good.

I noticed that when doing two voices it automatically puts the lower
voice with the stem pointing down. That is if it has one of these
symbols "//" after the first voice. Denemo's output can be modified to
have this:

                \VoiceI \\
                \PolyVoiceII

instead of:
                \VoiceI
                \PolyVoiceII

I don't know how this works with three voices.

> ?? We have both tie and Slur in Denemo at the moment.

I will look at it. Last time I tried it it did not work correctly.

> > lilypond-book support
> >     This will allow the user to create small musical excerpts that
> >     are very small like one measure. Export options could then be
> >     png, svg, jpg, etc ...
> I've not looked closely at that - once again if you can give a short
> sample of the output we need.

I will give you an example of this later.

> > The above are the most frequent reasons why I have to open up the
> > exported lilypond file after denemo.

While I am at it a very simple feature to implement would be "export to
text editor". We already have a text editor defined in the user external
preferences. I was going to add this feature but forgot about it.

Thanks,
Jeremiah