Re: [Denemo-devel] Unreadable files after save

From: Eivind
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Unreadable files after save
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:36:29 +0100 (CET)

> If you do have any time, the greatest benefit (even
> to Norwegians!)
> would come from exploring the program and trying to
> find reproducible
> crashes and reporting these.

I'll be happy to submit real bug report. A fake one
here: A thing that had Denemo constantly crashing, was
deleting triplets: If I had made a triplet which I
wanted to delete, I had to mark and cut it. Using Del
would cause a crash.

> I've never used Undo
> for instance - I would
> be surprised if it worked in all circumstances.

It works in the circumstances I've used it so far.

> Nothing that I use it
> for crashes, but I am sure there are quite a few
> horrors in there.

Yes, there are. Expect some bug reports in the future
:-)

> Failing that (and it is a lot to ask) just some
> feedback on what you use
> it for, and how, would be very welcome. For example
> - am I right in
> thinking that the Midi playback of your piece
> ignores the transposing
> nature of the instruments

This is a problem with the version of Denemo in the
Ubuntu archives (0.5, I think), but it was fixed as of
0.7. I use midi playback all the time, and transposing
an instrument gives correct and transposed playback -
thank goodness. This was the reason for my trying 0.7
from Debian unstable, and the crash that started this
thread was the reason for my starting to use Denemo
from CVS :-)

My uses for Denemo so far has been arranging music for
the small brass band where I live (Fjærland, Norway -
280 inhabitants and counting!). I find it very
relieving to use (and be able to customize) keyboard
input, and the midi playback is an absolute necessity.
Also, the new "print current part" feature is
extremely useful for doing just that: printing parts
and making pdf's for each instrument.

A feature I would like when printing, is to have the
staff names printed, both when exporting pdf's for the
whole project (in this case in front of each part's
staff) and for each part (in this case in the upper
left corner). Automagical parts printing would also be
nice :-)

Thanks so far for a good program!

Eivind

Alt i ett. Få Yahoo! Mail med adressekartotek, kalender og
notisblokk. http://no.mail.yahoo.com