[Denemo-devel] CVS access and releases

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] CVS access and releases
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:25:53 +0000

My savannah user name is rshann.

About releases, I agree they should be pre-agreed by all, since probably
no-one uses all the facilities of denemo, so that things may be broken
unbeknownst to several of the developers.
(My attempt to introduce regression testing a few years ago was
premature, of course. We can't reasonably do that until the program is
fairly stable. So we have to depend on users complaining if it gets
broken - and being very conservative about how we make modifications, of
course).

While there are known coredumps in the program I think we should aim to
fix and release as soon as possible - few things will put off getting a
decent user-base as much as a coredump, even with the recovery
mechanism.

About the windows build - is there any record of how it is/was done? I
don't think it is truly free software unless the build methods are
freely reported. In fact, in principle, someone could introduce
malicious code in such a situation and no-one could rebuild from source
to check! We certainly can't sensibly respond to enquiries about it if
we can't build it.

Thanks for the CVS crib sheet, Jeremiah. I have just registered a public
key with the site (as I guess is needed to keep denemo free from
tampering). I guess the guidance on the front page
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/sources/denemo co denemo
will do the trick?

I have the instrument tuner patch ready, so I will try with that as it doesn't
have a wide impact.