[Demexp-dev] One single account please

From: Frederic Lehobey
Subject: [Demexp-dev] One single account please
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:51:29 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 03:54:47PM +0200, Felix HENRY wrote:

> I understand there are technical issues to the problem of logins, however, I
> am concerned with the complexity of it from the point of view of the user.
> Once again, the whole point of having a web client is to make it easier for
> the average (read: not computer-proficient) user to participate in the
> democratic experience: no software to install, no software updates etc.
>
> So I think it would be a shame if this simpliciy is hampered by the
> complexity of the account creation procedure. To me one should have:
> -a single login/password for the server and for any client (drupal or other,
> or s/w client). Once again *the average user would not understand the double
> login*.

Seconded. Day after day, it becomes obvious to me the two accounts
idea does not fly. As an example: I am at a loss to know precisely
what I have to do.

I have not had any time (did I say I was busy this days?)  :)  to
review the (technical?) objections Augustin has raised so far. Is
there a summary available?

> -I think any user, once he has got an account, should be able to use the
> drupal client or the s/w client as soon as his account is alive. There
> should be no such thing as a user with a server account but no drupal
> account.

As I am.  :-)

> I know this can be difficult because at the moment this involves
> transmitting account info between drupal and the demexp server. Also this is
> a problem because account creation can be asked via drupal or to David
> directly. Why not make it easier and set up a new account request procedure,
> only via Drupal? The user no longer asks David directly, but instead does
> all the procedure on the drupal site, and this would be the only way to ask
> for a demexp account.

I would go the other way and make David (or any other people in
charge) the only registration procedure. My main reason for that is
the Drupal client might not be the only one (now or in the future). So
the roles or procedure should be only functional and not linked to a
tool.

Every existing and future account created by David should have the
necessary / corresponding counterpart on Drupal without further
hassle.

> Once again I understand this may be technically a burden at the moment to
> handle the account creation, but I think we *must* make it simple if would
> really want to boost the usage of the web client. Thanks for your hard work!

Seconded too.

Experimentally,
Frédéric