[Demexp-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Release of pydemexp 0.1

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: [Demexp-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Release of pydemexp 0.1
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:11:19 +0100

Hi,

This project started in 2005, and just to convince me that TODO-lists
are not black holes, I had to release it before the end of 2005 ;-)

I'm talking about pydemexp, a small kit that allows to write Python
scripts which interacts with demexp servers. I have just released
version 0.1, available from http://thomas.enix.org/pub/pydemexp/.

In fact, it's a very small piece of code: there are only three examples
on how to write Python code for demexp (410 lines of code).

The real work is in pyrpc, a Python module that implements the Sun RPC
protocol. It allows to dialog with potentially any server using
this protocol, including the demexp server. pyrpc is based on previous
work done by Peter Astrand and Fred Isaman, who wrote pynfs [1], a
test-suite for NFSv4. This code included a Python RPC module, to which
I have added a documentation, and the generation of client-side Python
stubs. Pyrpc is now available as a separate piece of code, available
from http://thomas.enix.org/pub/pyrpc/, in an arbitrary version called
1.0.

Starting from the examples given in pydemexp, it is possible to
implement text-based or graphical-based clients using the multiple
libraries for which Python has binding for (wxWidget, Qt, Gtk2...) or
to implement various scripts like RSS feeds generators, Web pages
generators, etc.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and to send your suggestions and
ideas.

Happy hacking !

Thomas

[1] http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/pynfs/