[Demexp-dev] Re: Customizing TEXTAREA in web client

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Customizing TEXTAREA in web client
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:45:17 +0200

Hi FĂ©lix,

2005/10/19, Felix HENRY <address@hidden>:
> 1/ Some information like the Question list is embedded in the html
> file only when it actually exist (that is, when a tag has been selected
> and the relevant buton clicked). I would also like to put some
> html there when there is no such info. Do you now if the wdialog
> allows that? I suspect something like a </ui:elsevar> tag (see below).

Strangely enough, this does not seem to be the case. You apparently
need to use several explicit ui:ifvar. See ui:cond:
  http://wdialog.sourceforge.net/manual/page-57.html

> 2/ The "select" html tag does not allow horizontal scrolling, so it
> is not the most convenient to display the tag or question list since
> some elements may we very long. The "textarea" tag can be used
> instead : it has horizontal scrolling, and although it is usually
> used as a form to input text, it has a convenient readonly mode
> where you can use it to display information.

The main issue is that "select" is related to the <select> HTML tag
that is interpreted by the web browser and handled correctly when the
FORM is submitted. You cannot substitute a <select> tag with any tag
if you want the browser the interpret the selection correctly.

However, we might try to solve the issue on the Caml side. When the
list is build, we might introduce carriage returns in each "select"
entry in order to limit each line size to, say, 80 columns. We might
reuse the routine used in the GTK+ client (lib/Misc.add_line_splits).

The only issue is that I don't know how carriage returns are
interpreted by web browsers.

Yours,
d.