Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:52:03 +0200

Hello Thomas,

2005/8/10, Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden>:
> Actually, I'm not sure that any of the demexp GUI will be usable without
> reading a manual.

That's a challenge I would like to respond. It does not mean I will succeed. :)

> Demexp has various concepts unknown to many people,
> and one can't really use a software without understanding the underlying
> concepts. It's even more important for a voting software, in which your
> actions are important, as they "engage" yourself.

You have a good point of underlying the importance of understanding
the concepts behind demexp (delegation, Condorcet vote, ability to
change vote). But we should design a system where such concepts can be
easily grasped. For example, delegation could be represented in a
graphical form to the user. I admit I haven't clear ideas neither
proposals.

> I think the primary goal could be an *efficient* GUI rather than a
> *intuitive* GUI.

I'm sure some hackers will provide scripting facilities to improve
efficiency. ;-)

> Take Blender as an example again: for the newcomer,
> it's not really intuitive. However, once one understood the idea of the
> tool, it's use is getting more and more efficient. So should demexp be ;-)

(arrrgghh) I won't deny the idea of Blender having an efficient
interface. However, I'm amongst those people that have never succeeded
in using it, mainly due to its interface.

The goal of demexp is to provide *wide scale* direct democracy. So the
interface should seem intuitive to most people. That's said, I still
hope that by having a easy enough interface, new developers will come,
interested by demexp, but with new ideas and improvements.

But you raise an interesting point: intuitive vs. efficient interface.
I vote for intuitive interface at first. But I'm ready to hear, now or
latter, your arguments about how to improve efficiency.

Yours,
d.