Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?

From: skaller
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] And now, what for demexp--dev--0.7?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:50:53 +1000

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 00:14 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Of course, nowadays, switching to a new word processor, web browser,
> e-mail client is quite easy, because you know the concepts behind these
> applications.

I do? Oh please help me learn my editor Vim .. I never learned it,
and as for emacs it is hopeless .. oh, I know the concepts .. I
am the author of many editors and all these unix editors are
3 decades out of date by comparison (Vim is positively archaic,
emacs never learned what a PC keyboard is ..)

> However, if you want to start using The Gimp or Blender,
> or some other tool specific to an area you're not used to, you won't be
> able to really use these softwares without reading a bit of documentation.

I use the Gimp without any documentation .. oh yes,
some Australian Slang the first few times .. *&^*&^*&  ..
but it is pretty easy to pick up ..

Same for demexp -- I am too lazy to read documentation ..
but it isn't necessary that something work intuitively
the first time. People will learn by playing with it,
and from other people.

> I think the primary goal could be an *efficient* GUI rather than a
> *intuitive* GUI.

Both are needed, but not necessarily in the same client.
For example an occasional voter needs intuitive GUI,
and will probably run it from their mobile phone.

But a delegate (proxy, politician ..) will need an efficient
system.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>