Re: [Demexp-dev] demexp utilisability

From: skaller
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] demexp utilisability
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:01:25 +1000

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 16:51 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Currently, preferences are stored in the ~/.demexp/ directory, so I
> cannot setup default preferences at package installation. Would it be
> possible to have global configuration files in /etc/demexp/ for example
> ? Or maybe, simpler, would it be possible to hard-code a default,
> server, login and password in the server that would be used by default ?

Seems sensible to me to do this:

Create /etc/demexp_servers which is a list of known demexp servers,
initially the test server. Do not create ~/.demexp.

When demexp starts, if ~/.demexp is not found,
go into a setup mode and offer to configure login
to one of the known servers (or type in you choice).

I think it is important never to do 'behind the scenes'
configuration to some default, particularly with networking.
For security reasons I just do not want my computer magically
connecting to ANYTHING unless I have told it to.

In particular, I don't want my friends to be able to masquerade
as me, just because they can use my computer under my
account -- I have to supply my password every time I fetch
mail for example, or every time I sign a mail, because
that's the way I like it.

Connection to a demexp server should be the same:
I should choose the server, and be assured a connection
can't ever be made without knowing which server is
being connected to .. and also can't proceed without
my password. Other people may prefer auto connect
without password .. the main thing that this should
not *silently* default.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>