Re: [Demexp-dev] [RFC] Using a file browser as demexp GUI?

From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] [RFC] Using a file browser as demexp GUI?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:16:20 +0200

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:39:59 +0200
David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:

> Latest version of LFS is using fuse. I got it from its author
> and ran it on my Debian with kernel 2.6 without major issue.
> This version will be released soon.

Ah, finally he did it... That's great news. :)

> Yes, I also had a look at Camelis pages. But I still fear that
> using Tree View will be unmanageable if the tree is too big,
> i.e. we have too many tags and questions.

Maybe, i don't know. It really depends on how the tags relates to
each other. If almost each tag happen to be the only annotation
of at least one of the questions, then you'll get a very large
root and loose almost all the benefit of increments-based
navigation. If at the contrary questions marked "constitution"
also all have the tag "politics", etc., then navigation will be
much smoother. It would really be interesting to see what the
tuxinette base produce...

> But if you read carefully my previous post, my intent is to
> provide an OS agnostic part, which is interconnected to the OS
> through WebDAV.
> And LFS core can be integrated into an OCaml application (I've
> checked with LFS author).

Ah, ok, fine in that case. My concern was really that you
don't go in a direction that would make navigation
confortable for Linux users only.

> The only OS specific part is to play with file types (MIME
> types?) and file extensions so that the right helper
> application is called when the user double-click on a file.

At least for Gnome, it would pretty simple, thanks to
freedesktop.org specs. It's just a matter of adding one file to
declare some new extension->mime associations, and then in the
each .desktop of the user applications you can state which mime
type they handle. And that's it: after the freedesktop bases are
synced, Nautilus will open the files with the right application.
I don't know where KDE stands concerning freedesktop specs, but i
would reallly not be surprised that it handles them just as fine.

As for Windows or MacOSX, i really don't have a clue how it
works...

PS: i've uploaded 0.5.4 ebuilds with "debug" support and added a
few words about it in my README.

--
TGL.