[Demexp-dev] Re: About bytecode binary in demexp packages

From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: About bytecode binary in demexp packages
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:57:09 +0200

Salut David,

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:56:57 +0200
David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would prefer that you keep bytecode version of the client
> around (you can throw the static one, I'm the only one to use
> it). In OCaml, only the bytecode version allows to have a
> precise diagnosis (backtrace) in case an exception is raised.
> So, in case of issue, I could ask somebody to rerun the
> bytecode client with the appropriate parameters.

Eh, right, i had not thought about that...
The "gentooish" way would be to make the ebuilds compile the
bytecode version only when a "debug" USE flag is set. So if a
user have some issues with demexp-gtk2-client, then he could:
 # USE="debug" emerge demexp-gtk2-client
And then he would get a "demexp-gtk2-client.bc" to produce the
traceback. That's what we do, for instance, to install a C program
with its debug symbols, so it's pretty standard. Does it sounds
fine?

--
TGL.