Re: [Demexp-dev] demexp 0.5.2

From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] demexp 0.5.2
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:53:40 +0200

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:13:50 +0200
David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:

> About equeue-core, it does not seem to be needed on my debian
> system. Equeue version is 2.1. I can't tell more.

Bah, that won't be an issue anymore if you switch to 'ocamlfind
--recursive' anyway.

> >  - I've had to add "-I /usr/lib/ocaml/site-packages/stublibs"
> > to the CLNT_OCAMLINC, otherwise compilation was failing with:
> [...]
>
> Once again, I don't have such issues on my debian system. Maybe
> a Gentoo/OCaml issue.

Yup, found it. The dir should be listed here:
  % cat /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf
  /usr/lib/ocaml/stublibs
  /usr/lib/ocaml
So it's definitly not a demexp issue, i will see that with our
OCaml maintainer. I had other minor changes to push anyway.

> > it would be nice if it could have at least a "--logfile
> > /path/to/logfile" option
>
> Ok, I've added this to my TODO.

Great, thanks.

> > And sure, all the other features of a unix daemon (taking care
> > of its pid file,
>
> a new file "bases.pid" is now created in latest dev version.
[...]
> > Oh, and one last very simple request: there is much valuable
> > info in your 0.6 announcement text, so don't forget to
> > include it somewhere in the source tarball so that packages
> > can install a copy in /usr/share/doc :)
>
> Yes, it is already in the source tree. :)

Ok, i've just `man tla` and checked out the dev tree a few
minutes ago, so from now i should stop asking for things you've
already done :)

> > dropping privileges,
>
> No need for this as the server does not use any privilege.
> However, it might be useful to have a "demexp" account specific
> for the server and to give appropriate rights to the server
> files. I leave this to package maintainers. :)

That's what the gentoo init script does already, but you know,
sometimes daemons have some --uid/--gid options, and then they can
be launch as root, prepare whatever they have to prepare while
still privilegied (like changing ownership of log files, creating
whatever workdir/workfile they need, etc.), and then they fork to
background using the unprivilegied user. Often, the last action
of the privilegied process is to write the pidfile for the
background process, and then die.

But yup, that's not some must-have features since a decent init
script with start-stop-daemon can do ~ the same.

> According to http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/uri-spec.html ,
[...]
> So, currently demexp:// are URL. When we will have distributed
> and interconnected servers, we will have URI (or URN ? ;).

Ok, you're definitly less lazy than i am ;)

--
TGL.