Re: [Demexp-dev] Tarball

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Tarball
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:33:38 +0200

Hello,

skaller <address@hidden> writes:

> Latest dev tarball is 87K -- half the size of the previous and stable
> ones .. I know caml code gets smaller as you develop it ..?

Three reasons for code size reduction:

 - for the 0.1/0.2 releases, we used XDR encoding but not the whole RPC
   mechanism. So our code had part of RPC code of Gerd Stolpmann.
   Starting from 0.3 branch, the whole RPC mechanism[1] is used and
   Gerd's RPC library in now an external requirement;

 - the delegation system is not currently implemented in the server (but
   was in 0.1/0.2);

 - there was a skeleton of a graphical client in lablgtk1 and a basic
   textual client that are no longer present.

So part of functionnality is missing but I think we have also a better
design that explains this code size reduction. ;)

Yours,
david

[1] Thus we have total compatibility with standard C language RPC and
    their development tools.
--
 David Mentré <address@hidden>