dejagnu

Re: dejagnu version update?

From: Rainer Orth
Subject: Re: dejagnu version update?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 16:08:50 +0200

Hi Maciej,

> On Wed, 13 May 2020, Rainer Orth wrote:
>
>> > I'm in favour of requiring 1.5.3 or later, so 1.6 would be OK for me.
>>
>> If we go beyond 1.5.x, we need to go all the way up to 1.6.2: 1.6 and
>> 1.6.1 have an ugly bug that can miss timeouts, causing tests to hang
>> indefinitely until one manually kills them.
>
>  Would you mind sharing a reference such as a DejaGNU Git commit ID of the
> fix for the bug you mean?
>
>  Versions 1.6 and 1.6.1 seem ubiquitous and coincidentally earlier this
> very week I have been chasing a phenomenon with Expect's `wait' semantics
> causing a reliable hang in remote testing if `ssh' to the target board
> stops responding for whatever reason.  I have come up with a solution
> (that I'd be happy to upstream, except that DejaGNU maintenance seems to
> have been dead for like a year now), which I have also confirmed to be
> required with current DejaGNU Git master so it must be a different one,
> and I would like to know how it might be related to the bug you mention.

I believe it's

commit b4e61f85ae26d215e8ad5d6e9fcda6c0745096a1
Author: Richard Biener <address@hidden>
Date:   Fri Jul 6 21:35:29 2018 +1000

            * lib/remote.exp (close_wait_program): Use separate kill command
            for each pid.

Richard pointed me at the 1.6.2 release when I mentioned the issue
somewhere on a gcc list, and it's his patch, so it's likely to be the
one.

It went into DejaGnu immediately after the 1.6.1. release ;-(

        Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University