dejagnu

Re: PATCH: redefine $decimal, $hex, $text vars

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Re: PATCH: redefine $decimal, $hex, $text vars
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 21:25:19 +1100

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:01:30AM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> Are we sure that DejaGnu should be sensitive to locales at all?
> Perhaps the runtest shell script should always export LOCALE=C?

What if I want to test locale support in an application? I think
forcing LANG=C is rather heavy handed.

> Generally, matching non-ASCII characters in non-English locales
> sounds like a good idea at first glance, but I expect it to prove to
> be another "hidden influence" that users are likely to overlook.  We
> would need to be very careful about this, and changing variables
> that existing testsuites might depend on in this way is fraught with
> peril.

Yes, that's the strongest argument for not changing it.  The value of
these variables are effectively part of the public API. I checked some
of the GNU testsuites and they use these extensively.

Cheers, Ben