dejagnu

Unable to test using simulator for arm.

From: Deepak Jadhav
Subject: Unable to test using simulator for arm.
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:55:33 +0530

Hi,

I am working on a linux machine. I have certain queries regarding using
DejaGNU with arm simulator that I have mentioned at the end. Initially I
have briefed my setup.

My setup
========

Building Cross-toolchain for arm -- to be used for creating executables to
be tested.
--------------------------------
I have built a cross toolchain for arm. It includes mainly binary utilities,
C compiler and libc.a i.e newlib ANSI C library. All the tools are prefixed
with arm-elf-, say arm-elf-gcc,etc.

Building GDB with simulator -- to be used by DejaGNU.
---------------------------
I have built debugger and simulator for arm. It includes mainly binary
utilities arm-elf-gdb and arm-elf-run.

Setting DejaGNU, Expect and TCL -- to be used to create a testing framework
-------------------------------
I have installed TCL, expect and Dejagnu and setup a testing environment. It
includes mainly runtest.sh.

Sample testsuite -- to be tested using DejaGNU framework.
----------------
I have a simple test setup that includes the following files that are
attached.
  a. simple.c  -- C program to be tested
  b. simple.exp -- Testing script that acts on C program.

Actual testing
--------------
1. I have set the "PATH" env variable to locate the following
   1.a arm-elf-gcc -- the cross compiler for arm
   1.b arm-elf-run -- the simulator for arm
   1.c runtest.sh -- to invoke DejaGNU testing framework.
2. I modified the file arm-sim.exp present in the baseboards directory of
DejaGNU.
   set_board_info compiler
/home/deepakj/build_toolchain/toolchain/arm-elf/b2.11.2g-g2.95.3g-n1.9.0r/bi
n/arm-elf-gcc.
   This was performed so that it gets the compiler.
3. I execute the following command from my testing directory.
   runtest
simple.exp --debug -v -v -v -v --target_board=arm-sim --target=arm-elf

Actual error
------------
I get the following error. I have attached the log file.
"Simulator -run missing"

Queries
=======
1. DejaGNU is not able to find the simulator named arm-elf-run? How do I
resolve this problem.
2. For DejaGNU to use the right compiler, I modified the arm-sim.exp file to
tell the exact compiler. This is actually a fix. How should this be actually
performed?

Can anybody help me in resolving this problem?

Regards,
Deepak.