ddd

Re: ddd on Alpine Linux

From: Michael Eager
Subject: Re: ddd on Alpine Linux
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 08:34:27 -0800

On 11/11/20 7:38 AM, David Topham wrote:
I am interested in using ddd as gui front-end to gdb on Alpine Linux.
I don't see a binary in the Alpine packages site, so I am building it from source code (2009 version 3.3.12 is latest?).

So far, I have gotten configure to work after installing several dependencies related to termcp, Xt, and Xm. These are not installed by default but I could get them using apk add command.

Since I am using JSLinux to run Alpine in the browser, it has taken more than 4 hours so far to run make! I made several source code changes related to the current version using default parameter values in friend function declarations which apparently is no longer allowed. That seems to be working by moving those default values to the definitions (e.g. common_prefix in strclass.C).

I am getting tons of warnings of various kinds. Mostly one related to deprecated implicit copy constructor in "Box" functions/classes.

I an wondering if anyone has used ddd in Alpine, and/or if anyone has updated  source code modernized to latest gcc compiler?

It's been several years since I tried to build DDD. I was able to build it, but there were a number of issues.

Unfortunately, DDD has not been maintained for a long time. It is based on old Modif libraries which are outdated. It has not been updated to conform to compiler changes. The last release is 3.3.12.

--
Michael Eager