ddd

Re: Mac OS use of ddd

From: rbd
Subject: Re: Mac OS use of ddd
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 12:39:30 -1000 (HST)

Hi Adanna,

ddd is an X11 application, and the message you reported typically indicates that the X11 window system is not running and ddd can find no X11 display to which it can connect. Have you installed the XQuartz server from https://www.xquartz.org?

FYI, ddd is now a very old application and has not run well, if at all, on macOS systems for the last two or three major releases due to problems with the Xt library and the difficulties which gdb (ddd's underlying debugger) now has with macOS executables. I have not used it successfully for years, if you can figure out how please let me know! (I figured out how to use Xcode's debugger in standalone mode as a substitute for ddd.)

Roger