ddd

Re: how do you start up DDD?

From: David Clarke
Subject: Re: how do you start up DDD?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:46:08 -0300

Hi again:

2. This still doesn't address the problems I have once I do the make install, namely error messages of the type:

mytikas 10> ddd xedit21
Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file
To resolve this problem, you can:
* set the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable to the location of the file `Ddd', or * set the DDD_HOME environment variable to the location of `ddd/ Ddd', or
* install the `Ddd' file in the X application defaults directory, or
* recompile DDD with builtin app-defaults file;
 see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details.
mytikas 11>

The error message above suggests 4 remedies. Try one of them. Given your level understanding of software development, my guess is the last recommendation will be the best for you.

Well that's part of the problem. I don't understand *any* of the suggested fixes. When it says to

see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details

see where? Where does one look to see the characters `--enable- builtin-app-defaults' strung together? Am I to scan the 267 pages or whatever of the ddd.pdf manual? Is this searchable on-line? Sorry for being a dunce here; I (and I have to believe others too) need explicit instructions when I'm in unfamiliar territory as I am now.

Thanks again for your time!

Cheers, David.

David A. Clarke                                                 address@hidden
Professor of Astronomy and Physics              (902) 420-5830
Institute for Computational Astrophysics                (902) 496-8218 (fax)
Saint Mary's University
http://www.ica.smu.ca/zeus3d
Halifax, NS, B3H 3C3