ddd

Re: question about debugging Perl modules written in C with DDD

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: question about debugging Perl modules written in C with DDD
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 06:44:46 +0000

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 12:50 -0800, Chuck Pareto wrote:
> Hi,
> I was referred to this tool (DDD) as a way to debug Perl Modules
> written in C. I currently use Komodo IDE to program and debug Perl and
> I am using a module called Text::Scan. Although I can walk through
> Perl scripts to debug them in Komodo, Komodo will not step through C
> code located within the module. I need to figure out how the c code
> works and I'm trying to find something that will allow me to step
> through the module including the c code. Can anyone tell me if DDD
> will accomplish this, if not does anyone know how I can do this?
> Thanks,
> Chuck

Anyone else tried something like this?

DDD can step through C code, but as far as I know, it can't step through
Perl in the same session.

As far as I know, DDD can run one underlying "inferior" debugger at a
time, so you can't step from Perl code into C code.  Multilanguage
debugging would be a nice feature.

However, you could try debugging the Perl interpreter with GDB as
inferior debugger, and setting breakpoints at the C functions you want
to debug.

Peter