ddd

Re: ddd-test6

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: ddd-test6
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:26:19 +0100

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 17:27 -0400, R. Bernstein wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 20:53 -0400, R. Bernstein wrote:
> >> As promised, here are the patches since ddd-3.3.12-test5 to give
> >> ddd-3.3.12-test6. (There is one additional change to extend the
> >> expiration date on the source).
> >
> > The patch did not apply cleanly on my copy of test5.  However, I went
> > back to Sourceforge CVS and created my own patch (attached) between the
> > release tags:
> >
> > cvs diff -u -rDDD_3_3_12_test5 -rDDD_3_3_12_test6
> >
> > and this seems to work OK.  I think I may also need to add an extra file
> > manually (add x86.vsl and remove the old pydb directory).
> >
> > Rocky, can you check if these are the only changes necessary to sync
> > with test6?
> >
> > Peter
>
> I'm a bit confused. How do I check out these sources? There isn't a
> branch in SVN or CVS on savannah. And I don't see that is is merged
> into trunk. However 3.3.12_test6 sources come from the pydb branch on
> savannah:
>
>   http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/branches/pydb/?root=ddd
>
> I can check this out and compile this fine with the one provision that
> the date in acinclude.m4 needs has expired last February. (And so
> what's in bashdb on sourceforge just has that date increased).

I'm also fairly confused by the differences between CVS and SVN.  I
assume that the official releases tarballs on Sourceforge were created
from the Sourceforge CVS repository tags DDD_3_3_12_test5,
DDD_3_3_12_test6.  So I was thinking that if I check out like this:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/ddd co
-rDDD_3_3_12_test5 ddd

and then apply your patch (from inside the directory) with patch -p0  <
~/tmp/ddd-test6.patch, I should get test6.
However, instead I get a lot of FAILED patches, and some Reversed (or
previously applied) patches detected. Evidently I'm not starting from
the same place as you, could you tell me exactly what commands you used
to generate your patch?

Savannah SVN has a tag DDD_3_3_12_test5, but there is no tag
DDD_3_3_12_test6.  So it appears some changes never got moved to
Savannah, but I haven't worked out exactly where the break occurred.
Unfortunately the differences between the CVS and SVN version numbering
and the way they do branches and tags makes it a bit tricky to work out
the differences, but I'll get there eventually, I hope...

Peter