ddd

Re: ddd & bash or bashdb

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: ddd & bash or bashdb
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:29:03 -0400

Peter Wainwright writes:
 > On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 10:35 -0400, R. Bernstein wrote:
 > > You should install ddd-3.3.12-test6.tar.gz (released last February):
 > >
 > > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61395&package_id=65341
 > >
 > > 3.3.11 is from 2005. Although all of the code in "test6" is in fact in
 > > ddd CVS, efforts to get the ddd maintainers to release this code have
 > > fallen on deaf ears.
 >
 > I agree it is probably time for another release, and (if I take over as
 > maintainer) I will work to make this happen.
 >
 > I would point out that in future, the only official repository is the
 > Subversion repository on Savannah (savannah.gnu.org).  The last tag
 > there is DDD_3_3_12_test5; it looks like test6 was lost because it was
 > committed to CVS on Sourceforge.

Not a big deal because we have a source tarball for test6. If I still
have commit access, over the weekend I can create a test6 a branch and
make the changes.

I just downloaded test6 and it compiled on Ubuntu without any problem
other than the warnings (dereferencing type-punned pointer) that have
become commonplace in C++ as there are new g++ compiler releases.

 > Some confusion has occurred because
 > there were both CVS and Subversion repositories on Sourceforge; the CVS
 > repository was not moved. However, I think it is only a tiny patch
 > (maybe a change in version number only?) which remains to be merged.

Looking at NEWS, it seems that the big bash fixes were in the initial
split off of test and test6 is to fix up python (pydb) support which
originally started in ddd.

I should also mention that I've been working debuggers for zsh and
ksh; in the process bashdb has undergone a major revision here and
also to be compatible with bash 4. Since the interfaces for the zsh,
ksh, and bash debuggers are largely the same it would probably be
pretty easy to extend ddd for any of these, should one want to do so.

Finally I should mention that on the list of gdb-like debuggers is
ruby-debug.

I haven't put any effort into ddd in any of these 3 gdb-like debuggers
since the modularity for language-support is pretty lacking
(e.g. modify 15 files in about 30 places) and also because others have
been working on other aspects of ddd. (Too many cooks as it were.)