ddd

Setting ddd environment variable on a Mac

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Setting ddd environment variable on a Mac
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:40:36 -0600

At the suggestion of a Linux user, I've built and installed ddd on my Mac
running OS X 10.3.9 with the intent of debugging g77 programs. I'm using the
standard Mac bash shell.

The entire build and install process went without any error messages or
problems. I'm using the lesstif libraries that I used to build geomview last
year. Indeed, ddd appears in /usr/local/bin.

When I try to use ddd, I get the message:

Joe-Koskis-Computer:~/Isis_Files/Dedicated_train_g77_debug jakoski$ ddd I3d
Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file
To resolve this problem, you can:
* set the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable to the location of the file
`Ddd', or
* set the DDD_HOME environment variable to the location of `ddd/Ddd', or
* install the `Ddd' file in the X application defaults directory, or
* recompile DDD with builtin app-defaults file;
  see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details.

So I searched and found Ddd

Joe-Koskis-Computer:/usr jakoski$ find . -name Ddd -print
./local/share/ddd-3.3.11/ddd/Ddd

and added the line

export DDD_HOME=/usr/local/share/ddd-3.3.11

First to both my .bashrc and then to .bash_profile. When I shut down and
restart X11 and export without arguments, I get the line

declare -x DDD_HOME="/usr/local/share/ddd-3.3.11"

on the list. So far, so good.

When I go back to the program directory and type ddd I3d again, I still get
the same Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file, etc., etc.

I also had the same results the lines

export DDD_HOME=/usr/local/share/ddd-3.3.11/ddd
and
export DDD_HOME=/usr/local/share/ddd-3.3.11/ddd/Ddd

I think I'm chasing my tail. I had the same results with the use of
XAPPLRESDIR.

Questions:

How do I declaare DDD_HOME or XAPPLRESDIR correctly?

Can I put Ddd in my ~/.ddd directory?

Where is the "X application defaults directory" located on a Mac?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Joe Koski
address@hidden