ddd

Re: DDDing an Xwindows progam remotely

From: v4r4n
Subject: Re: DDDing an Xwindows progam remotely
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:36:59 -0800

I would love to use ssh, but I'm working within a very old and
insecure environment.  The two accounts I use don't even have
passwords, which is unacceptable for 'ssh'ing. [I also don't have
permission to give the accounts passwords]

"man xhost" hasn't helped since I'm not quite sure what is wrong... it
doesn't make much sense to me that DDD would use a different DISPLAY
variable when running GUI applications with itself.

'xhost +' does not solve the problem.  I also don't think there is a
list of hosts for xhost to refer to [there is not /etc/X*.hosts file].

I'm now currently using an old win32 Xclient to log into the same
SUSE9 machine getting the exact same error the RedHat machine has
problems with.

When I log in, the default DISPLAY=:0.0 doesn't work so I set it to
192.168.xxx.xxx:0.0 or domain.name:0.0 and then I can open X-apps.

DDD opens fine, but any GUI app that DDD trys to open fails... is DDD
running this other application as a different user?

Thanks