ddd

Re: ddd-3.3.9-test2 build feedback

From: Arnaud Desitter
Subject: Re: ddd-3.3.9-test2 build feedback
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:49:49 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Mooney" <address@hidden>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.debugging.ddd.general
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 7:11 PM

> In regard to: Re: ddd-3.3.9-test2 build feedback, Andrew Gaylard said
(at...:

> > Tim Mooney wrote:
> >> As an aside, are some of the fixes that Arnaud et. al. have
incorporated
> >> related to optimization?  The test releases of 3.3.9 seem a *lot*
snappier
> >> than any prior version of ddd I can remember, even back to the 1.3
days.

> > Yes indeed, Arnaud has done a lot of work changing pass-by-value calls
> > into pass-by-reference, among other things.  I'm glad you've noticed!
>
> The performance improvements are hard to miss.

There was a lot of potential for "easy" improvements. Most changes between
ddd 3.3.7 and ddd 3.3.9 relate to speed up.

Going futher will be more difficult.
The string class used by ddd is not reference counted. Switching to
std::string
in the few locations shown by a profiler could improve speed.

Anyway it is good to know that you noticed.

Regards,