ddd

Re: ddd-3.3.9-test2 build feedback

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: ddd-3.3.9-test2 build feedback
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 13:11:34 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: ddd-3.3.9-test2 build feedback, Andrew Gaylard said (at...:

Tim Mooney wrote:
As an aside, are some of the fixes that Arnaud et. al. have incorporated
related to optimization?  The test releases of 3.3.9 seem a *lot* snappier
than any prior version of ddd I can remember, even back to the 1.3 days.

Yes indeed, Arnaud has done a lot of work changing pass-by-value calls
into pass-by-reference, among other things.  I'm glad you've noticed!

The performance improvements are hard to miss.

I'll also continue to pursue information from the folks at HP about what
I might do to get the Compaq C++ compiler to not choke on ddd on Tru64.
Hopefully I'll have something useful to report next week.

Excellent.  I presume that it works with g++, right?

I haven't tested with g++, but it likely does.  The good news is that
last night I figured out the problem, and have been successful getting
ddd to build with the Compaq C++ compiler.  I'll have more info in a
subsequent email.

(I actually have an alpha system  for testing, but it has only
Tru64 v4.0F and g++;  I don't have dollars to spend on this platform
for mere hobbyist usage.  If anyone from HP is reading this, is there
no hobbyist program for Tru64 like there is for OpenVMS?)

There is, and there has been for years.  I can get you part numbers if
you want.  What I can't remember is if the hobbyist licenses include a
license for the C++ compiler.  Licenses for the rest of the development
tools are included, but I seem to recall that the C++ compiler was left
out.  That could be wrong though.

Thanks for your work testing this for us,

You're welcome.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden