ddd

New maintainer

From: apgaylard
Subject: New maintainer
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 06:52:18 GMT

Hi DDD People,

First, let me apologise for spamming the whole list with
feature requests.  I was simply adding entries to the
feature-tracker in SourceForge; I had no idea that they
would be sent on to the list.  So I'm sorry...

Second,  Andreas Zeller has handed the role of maintainer
of DDD to me.  This doesn't mean that I will fix every bug
that comes my way, but it does mean that there will be
someone co-ordinating work on DDD and making releases
from time to time.  I *will* help where I can, of course.

I added the feature requests so that they don't get
forgotten, and also to inspire any developers out there
who'd like to help take DDD into the future.  DDD is a
neat tool, but there's always room for improvement.

The state of DDD at present is as follows:

- 3.3.1 was the last official release.  It doesn't
  build with any of the 3.x series of gcc.  Most of
  the bugs in SourceForge relate to this.
- Daniel Schepler and Rocky Bernstein created a fork
  of DDD for the bashdb project, simply because they
  couldn't get any response from Andreas.  They have
  made updates to the code to build and run correctly
  with gcc-3.x versions.  They made releases 3.3.2,
  3.3.3, 3.3.4, and 3.3.5 of DDD.  For people who are
  desperate to get a build going with recent gcc's,
  or who need bashdb functionality, I recommend their
  3.3.5 release.
- I have been in contact with Daniel and Rocky, and
  we've agreed to merge their code back into the original
  ddd CVS at SourceForge.  I'm busy with this at present.
- Once the merge is complete, I will check that DDD builds
  on Linux, Solaris, Tru64, and HPUX, and then make a
  3.3.6 release.
- At that point, we can start talking about bug fixes
  and new features.

So I'd welcome any comments, both on the state of DDD,
my suggested plan for the immediate future, and on the
suggested features.

Naturally, I'd welcome developers and testers most of all!
I can't do this on my own.

Thanks,
Andrew Gaylard

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
M-Web: S.A.'s most trusted and reliable Internet Service Provider.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/