ddd

running a program

From: Boswell, TJ
Subject: running a program
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:14:50 -0600

We're starting a new project here at my work, and I'm coding and compiling
on Linux (Redhat 7.2) using the GNU compiler.  I have a problem with my
program, so I thought I would see if there were available debuggers that I
could use.  I found gdb, so I compiled my program with the -g option:

g++ -g ClServer.cpp -o ClServer

Then, I started the debugger:

gdb ClServer

I got the following:

GNU gdb 2001-09-07-cvs (MI_OUT)
conditions.  Type "Show copying" to see the conditions.  This version of GDB
is supported for customers of Red Hat, Inc..  Type "show warranty" for
details.  This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-pc-linux-gnu
--target=i686-pc-linux-gnu" ...
(gdb)

from here, I specified a breakpoint:

(gdb) break ClientHandler::handle_close()

I got the following:

Breakpoint 1 at 0x80ad00: FILE ../clserver/ClientHandler.cpp, LINE 188.
(gdb)

>From here I ran the program:

(gdb) run

I got the following:
Starting Program: /home/tboswell/HPA/src/clserver/ClServer
Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".

I typed help target, but I'm not trying to debug anything on a remote
machine.  Is there something else I need to do to compile my program or some
configuration setting I'm not doing?  Thanks for any help you can give me.
If there is anymore information I need to provide, please let me know.

Regards,
Tajuana (TJ)

TJ Boswell
Software Engineer