ddd

Re: Using Nano editor with DDD

From: Andreas Zeller
Subject: Re: Using Nano editor with DDD
Date: 27 Jul 2001 09:27:08 +0200

Hi!

author <address@hidden> writes:

> [setting the default editor to nano]
> It worked for a while, but when I've closed DDD, and then restart
> DDD sometime latter, the nano editor has been replaced by Vi.

In DDD, you must use `Edit->Save Options' to make your changes
permanent.  [Question to the public: Should DDD save its options
automatically?]

> I can't use Vi. It's just too weird and time consuming and
> auxward. Can't you find a better default editor? Something normal
> people can use.

Well - Vi is a) ubiquituous and b) the default for almost every other
Unix tool; this is why DDD uses Vi as default.

Actually, the ${EDITOR-vi} setting makes DDD respect the EDITOR
environment variable (another Unix standard).  Typing

    $ EDITOR=nano; export EDITOR

at the shell prompt or inserting these lines into your ~/.bashrc file
will make `nano' the default editor for DDD and many other Unix
programs.  (This assumes that `bash' is your default shell - the
common setting in Linux distributions.)

If you have any suggestion about a default editor that is as
ubiquituous as Vi, please let me know.

Andreas

--
Andreas Zeller          Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany
                        http://www.st.cs.uni-sb.de/~zeller/