ddd

Re: Build problems for ddd-3.3 on AIX and HP-UX

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: Build problems for ddd-3.3 on AIX and HP-UX
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:42:33 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: Re: Build problems for ddd-3.3 on AIX and HP-UX, Freddy...:

>Tim,
>
>  For the HP-UX I have downloaded the necessary stuff. Later
>  I will try to build it. However, for the AIX config I have
>  tried just about everything and I am ready to give up. It
>  fails at the final link of the ddd executable. It looks
>  like some table gets full, but I have done all the things
>  that were recommended in the README notes, i.e. I used these
>  flags for all compiles:
>
>   -mminimal-toc -mno-fp-in-toc -mno-sum-in-toc
>
>  and I used this flag for the linker: -Wl,-bbigtoc , but it
>  still doesn't work. Here is a copy of the last part of the
>  logfile:

Did you get this working?  I've seen subsequent messages from you on the
list which seem to imply that you got it to compile.

You definitely managed to put the linker into chatty mode, which is nice.

>(ld): er full

That sort of looks like an error, but it may not be -- it's probably just
informational.

>ld: 0711-318 ERROR: Undefined symbols were found.
>        The following symbols are in error:

This is definitely an error.

> Symbol                    Inpndx  TY CL Source-File(Object-File) OR
> Import-File{Shared-object}
>                              RLD: Address  Section  Rld-type Referencing
> Symbol
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .tcdrain(int)
> .tcdrain(int)             [28]    ER PR ../../src/ddd/logplayer.C(logplayer.o)
>                                   00000104 .text    R_RBR    [156]
> <.put(string const &)>

You need to link against libcurses.a -- I'm fairly certain that's where tcdrain
is on AIX.

Also make sure that any curses.h/termios.h/termio.h in the gcc fixed headers
has a prototype for tcdrain that is enclosed in a

extern "C" {

}

block, so it's treated a C symbol by the C++ compiler.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)