ddd

Re: Is ddd ported to 64 bit machines yet ?

From: Rob Somerville
Subject: Re: Is ddd ported to 64 bit machines yet ?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 12:02:18 -0700

Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: Is ddd ported to 64 bit machines yet ?, Rob Somerville...:

ddd has worked fine for years on the other 64 bit OSes I've tried it on,
so there's no reason to expect that it wouldn't work fine on Solaris in
64 bit mode.

Tim

sorry tim, it doesn't seem to work well at all
with 64 bit IRIX6.5  with -dbx option ;-(

As I recall, I've gotten ddd to compile and run on IRIX 6.5.x in the
past.

As far as I can tell, what you're talking about has little or nothing to
do with the fact that IRIX can be or is 64 bit, it has to do with ddd's
support for an underlying debugger, that may or may not have changed
for the 64 bit support in an OS.

If you can't get it to compile, please post what the problems are that
you're encountering.  I would be willing to help, as time permits.

Tim

i have no problems building on Irix ! gcc 2.95.2 & egcs 1.1.2 build it fine!

trying to debug a 64 bit executable is another story, If i try to set a break point (-dbx option) it places 7-12 breakpoints at that location with one button click! I soon run out of breakpoints !

some distance into program ddd claims there is no source code at that location ( sgi's CVD gui debugger has no problem there)

i have tied different compilation options & different motif like libraries, no luck.

my understanding is that SGI did some weird things to enable 64 bit
support in their executables ( i could be wrong)

--

robert somerville
Geophysicist / Geophysical Programmer