dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] Process hanging up

From: Lino Sanfilippo
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] Process hanging up
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:22:15 +0100

Ľuboš Matejíček wrote:
Yesterday I made a mistake in my test application. I forgot close file
after it has been scanned. When process already has the maximum number
of files open,  both applications - user and scanning hung up
and it was impossible to debug it and even killed (kill -9) them. Only
computer shutdown helped me to destroy hunged processes.

Today has repeated that with your test application showfiles (I has
removed close from function dazukofs_return_access) and result is same.
Application showfiles hang and it is impossible to debug it or kill it.
Why  is it?  Is a  bug in kernel or modul dazukofs ?
    Lubos
Hi Lubos,

Thanks for reporting this.
The reason for this behavior is that dazukofs tries to open a file descriptor for the daemon that it assigns an event to. If this assignment fails (in this case due to the failure of allocating a further file descriptor) dazukofs tries again and again, hanging
in an endless loop.
And yes, IMO its a bug: dazukofs should at least report errors like this to userspace, so that the userspace application has the possibiltiy to react somehow (probably
terminating the daemon that received the error).
Similar problems may occur if you use dazukofs mounted on a rootsquashed nfs, on which dazuko does not have the needed rights to open the files for which it wants to report an access to userspace.

Regards,
Lino

Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter: Tjark Auerbach
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tettnang
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 630992
ALLGEMEINE GESCHÄFTSBEDINGUNGEN
Es gelten unsere Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen
(AGB). Sie finden sie in der jeweils gültigen Fassung
im Internet unter http://www.avira.de/agb