dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] Relation to libav/RedirFS?

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] Relation to libav/RedirFS?
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:03:58 +0100

On 2009-02-12, Des Gregory <address@hidden> wrote:
> ... so I guess my question now, being not too technical myself, is
> "Which should I use for ant-virus: Dazuko or REDIRFS? or both?"
>
> Any ideas?

You should use whichever your anti-virus software needs. If the
software supports both, then you will need to see which one fits your
kernel. Depending on which anti-virus software you choose and which
kernel you run, there probably won't be a choice anyway.

But perhaps I can say a few things about Dazuko, DazukoFS, and
RedirFS...

Dazuko has the longest running track record, so it can be considered
fairly stable. But it does not work with newer kernels.

DazukoFS and RedirFS are both relatively new (with DazukoFS being
_very_ new), so they may still have some stability issues.

>From a user's perspective, RedirFS is easier to configure than
DazukoFS. RedirFS simply needs to be loaded, whereas DazukoFS must
also be set up to stack (in /etc/fstab).

RedirFS should allow the system to run exactly as before, whereas
DazukoFS does not support some filesystem features such as
memory-mapped writing.

RedirFS may be faster than DazukoFS because it hooks the real inodes
rather than adding another inode layer. But this is also dependent on
the RedirFS and DazukoFS implementations and there have not been any
tests to show this.

DazukoFS has been shown to be _much_ faster than Dazuko:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/dazuko-devel/2008-09/msg00002.html

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer